Thursday, July 28, 2011

Angel Fall by Cameron Luck

Three angry and heartbroken siblings are traveling between their divorced parents when their plane crashes over the ocean. The children awake to find themselves adrift in Boreth, another world of ancient devastation and evil. The siblings will face frightening challenges, terrifying choices, and great temptations before reaching their final destination.












The Review:
My Ranking: 8 out of 10
Ages: 16 & up


When I first got Angel Fall, I was expecting to read a neat fantasy that sort of sent the reader into what heaven and hell might be like. The story sounded really neat – three kids who find themselves in an alternate world that has a striking resemblance to heaven and hell. So I dove in, expecting a Narnia-like book. Boy was I wrong, and it affected how much I liked the book! For the first 100 pages, I couldn’t understand a thing. To me, it was the weirdest book I’d ever read. I put it down for a while and just yesterday picked it back up. After a few chapters, I was interested in what was going on and realized why I wasn’t enjoying it – I was trying too hard to match up who was who. Was the dog character supposed to symbolize Jesus? Or was it the baby? Or that other character? And who is God? And the angels? What about the Holy Spirit?
Once I stopped imagining it as a Narnia-like book where each character represented a real being I started enjoying the story. By the end, I was able to look back and recognize who represented who and also was able to give it the higher rating that I did.

The writing style was easy to read, but the story itself was very complicated. If you are a slower reader and not a speed reader as I am, you would probably be able to understand the plot and characters better. It took me a while to figure out what was going on, and even by the end I was still a bit confused, but the story was very unique and had a lot of great elements to it that made the book an interesting read.

The characters were all well fleshed out and enjoyable to read about. Tori was probably my favorite of the three. The beautiful and outspoken nine year old was a great character who’s charms and faults were laid out nicely and made it easy for the reader to love her. Both Amanda and Alex were very interesting characters, also, and they made the story engaging.

There is a bit to warn about in this book. A few curses were spoken throughout the book, including jack*** and a**. They also use the word “screwed” or “screw” in meaning of teasing. Alex sees a girl who is purposely tempting him and it says he found her to have the body of a goddess. A girl tries to lure Alex to her bed several times by saying he could rest on her bed. Alex kisses her hard and it says “the response was amazing” and goes on saying how her arms wrapped around his neck and she returned his kiss with fury. It is obvious she is bad and trying to lure him.
During one of Amanda’s scenes, she has flashbacks of a night where her uncle forcefully violated her. There was not much detail – it just says she saw a man on top of “another her” and then later when she has to redo it to conquer the memory, she says she feels his crushing weight upon her. No more description is used.

This book was not quite what I expected, but was interesting and enjoyable nonetheless. I think a lot of fantasy readers would love this book. I myself am a huge fan of fantasy, but it took me a bit to get into this book. Still, it ended well and I was able to sit back and let out a contented sigh. :)

I received this free book in return for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions expressed in this review are my own.

0 comments:

read the printed word!
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More