Thursday, September 22, 2011

The Soldier's Cross by Abigail J. Hartman

Hey readers! First off, let me apologize for my lack of presence here lately. My computer has recently decided it is not going to be alive anymore and has keeled over and is practically dead. Yep it's very sad. Anyone here a computer doctor...?
Okay so anyway, while I'm in the process of getting a new computer, my posts might be kinda sporadic. Yep it's pretty sad. I'm utterly devastated. And that on top of the fact that I am going to South Carolina for a week on Saturday to help my aunt who recently had her fourth child equals out to be me not here practically at all for the next week. [insert picture of me crying here]

 So after tomorrow, where I have a product review and giveaway, and also author interview and giveaway going up, and maybe some pictures too, I will be absent for a good week and a half or so. I will miss you, my faithful readers, oh so much! So, enjoy this post and tomorrows! :)







A.D. 1415 Fiona's world is a carefully built castle in the air, made up of the fancies, wishes, and memories of her childhood. It begins to crumble as she watches her brother march away to join in the English invasion of France. It falls to pieces when he is brought home dead. 


Robbed of the one dearest to her and alone in the world, Fiona turns to her brother's silver cross in search of the peace he said it would bring. But when she finds it missing, she swears she will have it and sets out on a journey across the Channel and war-ravaged France to regain it and find the peace it carries.






The Review:
Ranking: 8 out of 10 stars
Ages 12 & up



The Soldier’s Cross was a neat book filled with great lessons and interesting historical facts. While not the adventure, suspense, or action-packed novel that I usually like, I found myself taking pleasure in reading through Fiona’s journey of finding her deceased brother’s valued cross. \

This book was not necessarily realistic by any means – the girl often travels alone and at night, and the fact that she wasn’t set upon by bandits or the like was extremely surprising and not likely for that time – or any time for that matter. But it did not really effect the story for me – I still really enjoyed it!

 My favorite part of the story was when Fiona became a maid, but I won’t say anymore because I don’t want to give away too much! But I loved the whole time she was in the household – it was such a neat part of the book and I loved the characters introduced.

What intrigued me most was that this book was not written by an adult, but a girl only year or so younger than myself! I was so encouraged and inspired by her -- way to go Abigail! That is quite an accomplishment! ;)

Sensuality:


Fiona is appalled at something a soldier says about her being able to pay with something other than money, and there is a scene towards when a man says Fiona was set upon inappropriately by another man in excuse for his actions(not true in a sensual manner – he was trying to rob her), but it was not explained any further. 


Violence:


There was minor violence included in this book, including fights(both with weapons and fists), resulting in a minorly detailed cut on a man’s face and the death of another man. 


 All in all, this was an awesome book and I was amazed it was written by such a young author! Take time to go visit this young girl’s blog and learn about her – she has a great site and is an amazing writer. Stop by and leave a note or purchase her book here!

0 comments:

read the printed word!
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More