Saturday, February 8, 2014

The Monuments Men

When offered the chance to see the pre-screening of The Monuments Men, I jumped on it. Not only do I absolutely love WWII era movies, but the fact that it is a true story caught my interest, and I am a huge fan of some of the main actors. Putting Matt Damon, George Clooney, Bill Murray, John Goodman, and the talented Cate Blanchett in the same movie is a recipe for a fantastic film.

The overall movie was good.Great acting, good dialogue, with enough wit to keep you chuckling yet still touching your emotions with the somber tale of war.
The only problem I had with the film was the overall idea that was repeatedly pushed -- saving art is worth the life of a human. I understand the sentiment, but I disagree. The only thing worth sacrificing a human life for is another human life. That is all. No piece of art is worth a child's father, a wife's husband, a brother's brother, and mother's son.
Content:

Aside from that, I enjoyed the movie. A favorite aspect of mine was how clean the movie was. With only the S-word said several times, "Hell" scarcely used, and one man's thought "Screw the Germans", the language was very clean for a war-themed movie.
As far as sexuality, it was also very clean. Though several slightly suggestive remarks are made by a woman about "Anything can happen at night in Paris" and telling a man he could stay the night if he wanted, cheers erupted within me when the man walked out shortly after her saying that without so much as a kiss. While it was evident to adults in the film, I imagine her slightly suggestive remarks would fly over children's heads.




Violence was fairly low for a war movie. I was happy to see little blood and gore, with only one scene having it in abundance, and even then it was nothing compared to most war movies. Simply a hospital room of injured soldiers. Lots of blood but nothing graphic.




Overall, it was an enjoyable movie that I found entertaining and at the same time educational on ancient art. It is the perfect educational film for families interested in art and WWII. But while enjoyable, I wouldn't rush to the theater and pay to see it again, and recommend waiting until this one is on DVD before watching.

0 comments:

read the printed word!
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More