Sunday, October 30, 2011

Sunrise on the Battery by Beth Webb Hart



Now that she's arrived at her ultimate address, will Mary Lynn's longed-for view of the harbor satisfy the craving of her heart? 


 At last, Mary Lynn and Jackson Scoville are living the life they've dreamed of. Two self-described "small town bumpkins" from Round O, South Carolina, they made a small fortune selling the little gems of lowcountry real estate Jackson inherited and now they are living in the heart of Charleston, South Carolina, carefully working their way up the social ladder in hopes of meeting their ultimate goal: to give their three daughters the life they themselves never had. 


 But the long-forgotten God of Mary Lynn's childhood seems to be trying to get her attention in clear and unusual ways. So clear and strange she can no longer deny it. When Mary Lynn prays for Jackson to open his mind and heart to God, her prayers are answered beyond her wildest imaginings. Now Jackson's dramatic conversion (which includes street witnessing, giving away a lot of money, and inviting poor, desperate and marginalized people into their home) is threatening their social status as well as their family mission statement. Is she willing to go along with him?


The Review:
My Ranking: 6 out of 10
Ages 15 & up


I’d never read a book by Beth Webb Hart, so I wasn’t sure what to expect when I picked up Sunrise on the Battery. What I found was a simple story about giving up and letting God be the center of our lives. I actually didn’t care too much for this story. I found the writing style difficult to read and I didn’t feel a connection with any of the characters.

There was nothing profound that happened in the book that would make me eager to continue, nothing gripping that would keep me turning pages. Like I already described it, it was simply...simple. Nothing much to it.

The characters were likeable enough, but not very deep. They were your typical Americans – loving their life in high-society. I did find some of their actions a bit dramatic and maybe even unrealistic, but that really didn’t have much of a bearing on how much I enjoyed the story.

While it was a good enough book, the story seemed to have little depth and meaning. I could see where the author was trying to go with it, but I think the way the idea was executed was what got me. Sadly, it just didn’t have what it took to make it onto my permanent shelf.

 Sensuality:
There is a mention of a person getting married at 18 so they didn’t end up a senior and pregnant with no father. 
There is one kiss between two teenagers, and another between a married couple.


 Other:
One of the characters is involved in drugs and it goes into minor detail about how they make her feel.

 To conclude, I’d say that I know some people would enjoy this book, but because of its lack of depth I was unable to take much interest in it.

0 comments:

read the printed word!
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More