Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Sir Quinlan and the Swords of Valor

Two friends face the Dark Knight’s deadliest scheme, but only one knight has the courage to overcome.

Sir Quinlan leaves his boyhood friend to serve the Prince, fighting a battle darker and more intense than any he’s ever known. The mysterious Sir Baylor recruits him into the ranks of an elite unit of knights known as the Swords of Valor, but when tragedy strikes and everyone blames Quinlan, the Swords of Valor disband, ending a legacy of heroic deeds.

Alone and despairing, Quinlan wanders the kingdom, fleeing his past. His providential encounter with Taras, a mysterious Silent Warrior and former trainer of Valor Knights, offers Quinlan a chance to redeem himself and learn the ways of the secret warriors.

The training is grueling, and just when Quinlan seems to have left his failures behind, he receives an impossible challenge from the Prince—one that will force him to face his past…and the mighty men who blame him for the tragedy that ruined them.

Can Quinlan reunite the Valor Knights in time to save the people from the Dark Knight’s evil plot to rule the Kingdom of Arrethtrae, or will the Valor Knights lose the most important battle of all?




The Review
My Ranking: 10 out of 10
Ages 10 & up

I have read several books by Chuck Black and absolutely LOVE his books, so I was extremely excited to receive Sir Quinlan in the mail. Eagerly, I dove into it, expecting a great adventure. I was not disappointed! Sir Quinlan actually may be my favorite of his books that I've read so far! Granted, I have not read many(only the handful I have been able to get my hands on), but this book was exceptional.

Black's writing style is so easy to read - as soon as I finished Sir Quinlan I passed it to my 10 year old brother, knowing he would be able to fully understand and enjoy it. He's vivid and I love his style - so easy to comprehend! :) I felt as if I were diving into the land of Arrethrae...something only skilled authors can make me do.

Quinlan was just awesome. I absolutely loved this character who was a bit timid about himself. After blaming himself for a tragic event, Quinlan no longer thinks he is worthy to serve the Prince. He struggles to except who he is and understand that the Prince has called him, and he must put aside his lingering doubts and self-pity and except who he is. I related to this character in so many ways. I loved all of his quirks and characteristics - I know that if I met Quinlan in person he would be one my closest friends.

The lessons in Black's books are always excellent, and this one wasn't any different. One of my favorite parts was when Taras was beginning his training with Quinlan...

Lesson 1: Know who you are.
Lesson 2: Know who you want to become. 


What an excellent piece of advice! Something a lot of people should hear and acknowledge. And that was only a small thing that really stood out to me personally. There were so many other lessons in these books - they're just awesome!

Content wise...the best thing about these books is there is absolutely NOTHING in them. Awesome, no?
Struggling to find something, the only thing I could come up with is some mildly violent scenes where people are sword fighting - but nothing gorey or anything.

To conclude, these are amazing books that I couldn't recommend more. They would make excellent family or individual reads. Definitely keep your eye out for these - you won't want to miss them!

I received this free book in return for an honest review from Waterbrook Multnomah publishing group. All thoughts and opinions expressed in this review are my own.

1 comments:

Katie Marie said...

Awesome review, Kait!! Yes, I agree, these books are totally awesome!! I can't wait to see what Black comes out with next. :-D

~ Katy

read the printed word!
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More