Monday, February 28, 2011

Head In The Clouds by Karen Witemeyer


Adelaide Proctor is a young woman with her head in the clouds, longing for a real-life storybook hero to claim as her own. But when a husband-hunting debacle leaves her humiliated, she interviews for a staid governess position on a central Texas sheep ranch and vows to leave her romantic yearnings behind. When Gideon Westcott left his privileged life in England to make a name for himself in America's wool industry, he never expected to become a father overnight. And five-year-old Isabella hasn't uttered a word since she lost her mother. The unconventionality of the new governess concerns Gideon--and intrigues him at the same time. But he can't afford distractions. He has a ranch to run, a shearing to oversee, and a suspicious fence-cutting to investigate. When Isabella's uncle comes to claim the child--and her inheritance--Gideon and Adelaide must work together to protect Isabella from the man's evil schemes. And soon neither can deny their growing attraction. But after so many heartbreaks, will Adelaide be willing to get her head out of the clouds and put her heart on the line?






The Review:
My Ranking: 9 out of 10
Ages: 15 & up



Head In The Clouds was my first Karen Witemeyer and came highly recommended by a number of fellow readers. This book did not disappoint! What a unique and exciting story! I was hooked from page one and couldn't put the book down. The action/romance was perfectly balanced and I appreciated the action among the romance, rather than just a simple romance story. Witemeyer did an excellent job with this novel.

The heroine, Adelaide Proctor, was easy to relate to and I felt as if I were there with her, experiencing everything she went through. I loved her personality and the way she took life and problems head on. Her faith is God was solid, which I was happy about, and she didn't take her faith lightly. What I liked most about this character though is the way she longed for God's approval over her actions over any other. Even after she'd fallen in love, she prayed often about is he was the man God wanted her to marry. I loved Adelaide so much for her fine qualities! Her outgoing personality and her love of books and outdoors reminded me of myself!

Gideon, the hero, was an instant like for me. I loved his personality, temperament, outlook on life, protectiveness, and love of his family. He was extremely likable and, in my opinion, awesome. lol

Sweet little Bella was an excellent add to the story, along with the other side characters. I enjoyed everyone of them - they all fit so perfectly into the story.

There are only a few things I need to caution here...
First off, Adelaide is molested. While nothing is descriptive aside from the harassment ending in a torn dress, the motive behind the offender is clear and he accuses Adelaide of toying with him and then turning him down, though she did no such thing. 
Another thing is that a husband is injured and unable to perform his husbandly duties on his wedding night. There is some brief thoughts by the wife on this and she ends up wearing one of his shirts so she can feel close to him. While they are married and this is not immoral, it may make young readers uncomfortable. 
There are a few instances where it mentions a man's desire for a woman, but nothing explicit whatsoever. 

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and recommend it. If you love a sweet romance, you won't be able to dislike this story...and if you like action, well there's some of that too. It's the perfect mix! ;)

Buy this book HERE!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is the first book I won after i started signing up to win books. It is awesome!! I love Karen's books. They are well worth your time to read them~!
Joy

read the printed word!
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More