Friday, January 14, 2011

Flashback Friday

Hey Readers! I'm going to start trying(note the word 'trying' is stressed. lol) to post a Flashback post on Fridays, in which I will be writing about two recent, or not-so-recent, books I've read that I think should be pointed out. The first mainly for it's historical aspects and the second for it's Biblical aspects. Many people these days are tired of the simple love stories and want something to learn from when they read, whether it be a neat historical fact/event or a book filled with Christian ideas that will make you ponder your faith. I completely agree so it shouldn't be too hard for me notice books that fit either of the above, as they naturally stand out to me.
Who knows how consistent I'll be with this, but here we go! :-)


Historical Aspects:

Valeria's CrossA book I read only a few weeks ago that I found very historical and beneficial to read is Valeria's Cross by Kathi Macias and Susan Wales. This book took place in the Roman age during Emperor Diocletian's reign. It was chock full of information on many true events that happened during that age. I had never heard of any of the people in the book(besides Constatine who was a side character) and loved learning about them and what went on in their lives. This book also had a very good Christian aspect, as the two wives of the Emperor and the Ceaser were Christians and were married to pagan men. Their stand for their faith was very inspirational, as were the martyrs that died because of their refusal to participate in pagan sacrifices. All around this book was a wonderful read, though for older teenagers and adults, and I encourage reading it. :-)


Biblical/Christian Aspects:


HavahAfter reading this book, I knew immediately when is started this post that it was perfect. Havah, the story of Eve by Tosca Lee made me ponder Biblical events so much that I ended up having a long discussion with Katy about it, as she had just finished it also. The story of Eve and Adam was put extremely well in Lee's recent novel. Contemplating what it might have been like for Adam and Eve having suffered the immediate punishment for disobeying God and eating the fruit was easy to do when reading Havah, the story of Eve. Written from Eve's perspective, you will not be able to not stop and ponder the thoughts of Eve as she lives through her life with the weight of guilt from eating the fruit and giving it to her husband and the heartbreak of losing her son to her elder son's jealous hand. This book was very well written, and though I would encourage it to only more mature teen readers and  adults for it's suggestive content, it was an amazing read that will truly make you ponder the past. Huh. I guess this fits the Historical Aspects too. :-P

Well, there ya have it! My first two books for Flashback Friday. :-) Let me know if this post was enjoyable or helpful at all so I know whether to keep posting these. ;-)

5 comments:

Charity U said...

I found it both interesting and enjoyable! Thank you!

Also, I awarded you back on Austenitis. :) Thanks for giving it to me in the first place!

Renee said...

Interesting . . .

Robert Hagedorn said...

Adam and Eve felt not only guilt, but shame after eating the forbidden fruit, hence the aprons. But what exactly was the fruit? Please do a search: The First Scandal Adam and Eve.

Renee said...

Kait--my post is up about the award . . .

Unknown said...

Charity U - Thanks for the feedback!

Renee - Thanks! I'll make sure to check it out. :-)

read the printed word!
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More