Friday, August 27, 2010

The Martyr's Song by Ted Dekker

What would you die for?
That's the question suddenly thrust upon a small band of women and children in Bosnia at the close of World War II. When a group of bitter soldiers stumble upon their peaceful village, they suddenly face an insidious evil...and the ultimate test.

It is then, in the midst of chaos and pain that the Martyr's Song is first heard. It is then that the window into heaven first opens. It is then that love and beauty are shown in breathtaking reality.

You have in your hands the story and the song that changed...everything.


The Review:

My ranking: 9 out of 10
Reading level: 13 & upTed Dekker has done it again! Being my #1 favorite author, I read every Dekker I can get my hands on, and never have I regretted picking one up! In The Martyr's Song, you enter the life of a young girl named Marci, who's one desire is to be beautiful to the people around her, and that's what she asks for from the old botanist who offers help when she sees the young girls attitude toward life. The aging woman offers Marci a gift she did not expect nor desire; a story.
The story begins in a small and peaceful Bosnian village, but the town is turned upside down at the arrival of a small band of soldiers who bestow havoc upon the people, testing every one's faith and steadfastness.

The Positive:
For being only 128 pages long, this book is very thought provoking and challenges you to think about how you would respond when faces with such a perfidious evil. Because of the nature of the book and the small amounts of violence, I would recommend you read this before giving it to a child below the age of 13. Thrilling and thought provoking, I encourage you to read this book as it will surely make you reflect on your own faith and question yourself about if you would be able to stand through such devastating acts. The Martyr's Song also has discussion questions at the back of the book that will continue to make you ponder your life style.

The Negative:As I stated above, I would not give this book to a child under the age of 13 unless you have read and agree your child is ready. I in no way condemn Dekker for the violence as it was necessary in the story, I would just like to caution you when giving this to a young child.

To Sum It Up:I highly encourage you to read The Martyr's Song. It will be worth your time; trust me.



To learn more about this book, go here.
To purchase this book, go
here.

0 comments:

read the printed word!
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More